Thursday, May 2, 2013

Each Thursday my partner Lori and I report to our assigned field placement for our 352 class. Today we were instructed to have a lesson designed for badminton games. We decided to start the class with a modified version of badminton. There were no rackets involved and instead of a shuttlecock we used a hackey sack. The object of the game was to play against each other in teams of three using any body part except for the hands to send the hackey sack over the net to the opposing team. If the students couldn't do this successfully they could add their hands in to get the game going. There could be a total of 4 hits on each side before sending the hackey sack over the net. The next game we chose was called ping tin. It is very similar to badminton except that it uses a shuttlecock and ping pong paddles instead of a racket. Last we used badminton rackets and played regular badminton. Out of the two classes the students opinions were very different. The first class highly dislike using the hackey sacks and ping pong paddles while the second class really liked it and had a lot of fun with it.After today I realized that the students in the class make the classroom atmosphere difficult to work with. Make modifications and keep students positive giving them challenges and keep them on track and focused on the lesson.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with what you said,it is not about your lesson but about the students of the class. The attitude of the students can change a great lesson on paper to one big disaster. I have experienced this in my elementary field almost every week. unlike the older kids when you work with little one's you have to be flexible and be prepared to throw away your planned lesson. when ever something goes wrong you have to be able to adapt it right away and try to set a positive atmosphere and get the students interest. this will be tough at the beginning but you will learn a lot out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to be in 352 next semester and I am looking forward to field. Some people say it is stressful, but I feel like it will prepare me for student teaching. I know lesson plans will be a pain to do, but I am still looking forward to doing them. I am not only looking forward to teaching, but I am looking forward to learning from my students as well. You can learn so much from the kids you are teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We do not usually do anything at our field experience. I wish we got to teach more because we are not gaining the experience we need. I hope i get more experience in 452 teaching. The teachers at my field are not bad teachers, they are just not up to date on the new PE. Though team sports are fun, we are not learning anything being there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mallory! I am taking 352 next semester and I was wondering if anyone had some advice for me. I am taking 21 credits and I am hoping not to get TOO stressed out. How many lesson plans do you have to write? How far do you usually have to drive to get to the different field locations? Is their any advice that you would have liked to have before you started the class? Thanks for the help!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really glad the second class enjoyed our lesson, it made me feel a lot better about the whole thing. I'm excited that we get to teach basketball this week though. It's something I'm way more familiar with and I think all the kids will enjoy it. I think quite a few students in both classes either have played previously or currently still do. Hopefully the first class will have more fun this week.

    ReplyDelete